Disk Cleanup finds and removes invalid and unwanted junk files from the hard disk drive. These files consume hard disk space and also slow down the system considerably. Disk Cleanup deletes these files freeing up space and helps in improving system performance. The Disk Cleanup feature also deletes temporary files, Internet cache files, improper shortcut files, garbage name files, and empty folders.
Performing Disk Cleanup
To execute Disk Cleanup, follow these steps:
- Select Tuneup > Disk Cleanup.
- Click Settings if you want to Customize Disk Cleanup.
- Click Start.
A list with file locations and its junk category appears.
- You may click Stop to halt the entries being added to the list.
Each file location will be preceded by a check box. All file locations are selected by default.
- Clear the locations that need to be skipped by Disk Cleanup.
There are four other fields that display the following information:
- Files Found: The total number of files found by Disk Cleanup.
- Total Size: The size of the total number of files found by Disk Cleanup.
- Files Selected: The number of files selected for deletion.
- Selected File Size: The size of the number of files selected for deletion.
- Click Remove Files to remove the files.
- Click Close to exit Disk Cleanup.