This feature is used for deleting unwanted files or folders completely from the system. In case you want to delete any confidential data, Secure Delete helps you delete the data making it absolutely impossible to recover by any means. Data deleted using the Delete function of Windows can be recovered using a Recovery Software as the link to such data remains in the cluster of hard drives. The Secure Delete feature of Quick Heal PCTuner deletes the file or folders directly from the hard drive making it unrecoverable even if a Recovery Software is used.
The following are the three file deletion methods available in Quick Heal PCTuner.
|One Pass Random – Quick Data Destruction||One Pass Random deletion method uses random letters to overwrite the data. This method of deletion is quick and quite secure. Data once deleted cannot be recovered. This is the best option for most users. This is also the default file deletion method.|
|Two Pass – More Secure Destruction||Two Pass deletion method uses twice the number of random letters to overwrite the data. This method of deletion provides additional layer of security. Data once deleted cannot be recovered by any recovery software.|
|DoD – Standard Data Destruction||DoD deletion method uses the encryption method of using random letters to overwrite data as per the Department of Defense Memo. Data once deleted cannot be recovered by any recovery software.|
Using Secure Delete
To delete files or folders using Secure Delete, follow these steps:
- Select Tools > Secure Delete.
- Click the Options button.
The Select Secure Delete Method window appears.
- Select the deletion method and click the Accept button. Select Enable Right Click Secure Delete (Context Menu) to facilitate deleting any data by just right-clicking Secure Delete.
- Click the Add File button to locate the file you want to delete.
- Click the Add Folder button to locate the folder and its sub-folders you want to delete.
- If the selection for file deletion is incorrect, select the file and click Clear. Click Clear All to delete all the selections.
- Click Continue.
- A window appears with the message that the deletion is unrecoverable. It also helps you to change the deletion method. If you want to change the deletion method at this stage, click Options. Click Yes to proceed with the deletion process.
The selected files are deleted and a Deletion Summary screen appears.
- Click the View Report button to view the report of the deletion process or else click Close to exit from Tools Menu.